Salary: $100,000.00 to $140,000.00 /year
The individual in this role is a knowledgeable Electrical Estimator with a minimum of 10 years of estimating experience. The Senior Electrical Estimator will take on a leadership role, provide guidance, mentorship and support to a team to organize and implement estimating activities involved in pursing projects, preparing conceptual budgets, detailed estimates, cost studies, and competitive bids.
The success of this role can be gauged by the following metrics:
- Participates in business development activities to identify, target and secure project opportunities aligned with local and organizational goals and objectives.
- Prepare quotes of high accuracy, reliability and caliber to facilitate revenue goal attainment;
- Estimates prepared are within 5% of the targeted competitor estimates;
- Estimates are prepared in a timely fashion to be completed well in advance of deadlines;
- Consistently maintains the QFS for each of the respective jobs that the individual has estimated.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
An individual in this role is a professional and personable leader, committed to the success of projects and the organization, demonstrated by performing the following duties, where other applicable duties or responsibilities may be assigned from time to time:
- Prepares and/or coordinate the preparation of full cost estimates on conceptual, design-build or general tender work.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Develops superior relationships with clients and suppliers to position RBI as the electrical contractor of choice.
- Prepare disciplined estimates by calculating complete take-off of scope of work.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, Estimating Software, price lists, etc.
- Support other department personnel as required may include preparing estimates in other disciplines.
- May review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Attend pre-tender site visits.
- Any other responsibilities assigned by the Regional General Manager.
- Participate in the corporate Accubid committee.
- Provides clear direction and training to estimating team members and distributes workload to capitalize on individual and group strength, while ensuring balanced exposure to work experience and development opportunities
- Interfaces and communicates effectively (written and oral) with the estimating team, with all levels of management, clients and industry contacts
- Applies knowledge and skills through the handling of complex problems and shares expertise with the estimating team in an ongoing effort to develop, recommend revisions and implement procedures, standards, rules and regulations
- Analyze plans, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare bid estimate for projects, and supports the presentation of estimate proposals
- Follows and maintains RBI systems and procedures in relation to estimating
- Supervises quantity take-offs for all areas of the estimate while ensuring the take-off is well noted for hand-over to the project team, and includes safety and security requirements required by RBI policies and applicable legislation;
- Reviews discipline specific bid/tender documents and assesses potential risk
- May perform other related duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To successfully perform and execute the requirements of this role, the individual must hold or exhibit the following qualifications:
Education and/or Experience
A minimum of a University Degree or College Diploma in construction or engineering or a related discipline, 10 years of progressive estimating experience, or the equivalent of education and experience.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
An individual in this role is responsible with ensuring that work is performed within the established policies, procedures and guidelines of the organization and applicable legislation. The individual fulfills the Health & Safety requirements for Employees as detailed in the organizations’ Health & Safety program.
An individual in this role must be able to create written reports, estimates and instructions/procedures, as well as research and deliver verbal information with clients, representatives and staff. Frequent face to face interaction with clients, general contractor representatives and other RBI staff is required.
Proven skills to deal with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to compute percentages, costs, gross margins and gross profits on material, labour and project estimates. A strong detail orientation and demonstrated drive to meet established deadlines, with high quality work and supporting backup.
Certificates, Licenses and Registration
A construction/engineering certification such as a C.E.T. would be beneficial.
Technical / Software Skills
Proficiency with Accubid, Bluebeam, and the MS-Office suite is required.
The individual is frequently required to walk, stand, reach, and crouch. Frequent use of hands with dexterity is required to operate tools. Review of complex specification drawings is required to count and verify fixture quantities.
The environments are typically construction sites as varying degrees of completion where exposure varies with the degrees of hazards potentially present. Protective headwear, footwear, ear protection and eye protection are usually necessary depending on circumstances. The walking surfaces can vary from uneven dirt with excavated areas to loose gravel to hard concrete floors.